The operative word there is “digital,” for digital marketing uses all forms of electronic media – including the Internet, social media, mobile phones and digital television and radio channels – to communicate information, promotional offers and other important messages about your business. For roofing contractors especially, digital marketing holds the promise of rejuvenating a business with new (and qualified) leads and engendering loyalty among existing customers, who will, in turn, be more inclined to speak highly of your company to people who need a roofing repair or a new roof installed.
The leading marketing authority among marketing professionals, the American Marketing Association, minces no words about the role digital marketing now plays in the success of a business: “Digital marketing no longer is an add-on. It’s an imperative.”
You can achieve firm footing
If you feel as though you’ve lost your footing – or never really achieved it in the first place – you are far from a lone wolf in an empty digital forest. In fact, nearly 80 percent of business owners say that their digital marketing efforts are “somewhat successful” or “unsuccessful.” Only 22 percent say their efforts are “very successful.”
But this is not a permanent state. Indeed, it is one that you can reverse – and you can begin the process today by first analyzing the digital marketing tactics other business owners say have been most effective at rejuvenating their business. In order, these tactics are:
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization
- Content marketing
- Display advertising
- Referral marketing
- Paid search
- Mobile advertising
- Digital video advertising
- Affiliate marketing
An asterisk should be placed next to the first tactic. While 86 percent of business owners say they use email marketing to good effect, they integrate it with other tactics. And they are smart to do so since they generate less than 25 percent of new customers from an email campaign alone.
For roofing contractors, this finding might portend some interesting multi-faceted marketing campaigns. An example: a late winter campaign that encourages homeowners to get their roofs inspected before spring rains arrive and which opens with an email message, is reinforced on the company website, spread through social media and then returns to the email forum with a friendly reminder message.
Employ these tactics like a pro
No one said you should employ all of these tactics; unless you have endless financial resources, you probably cannot do so anyway. Choose the tactics that will work best for your roofing company in tandem with four key steps:
- Developing a cohesive marketing strategy. Begin with clearly defined and measurable goals so that your strategy teems with symmetry and relevance.
- Knowing your audience – and their needs and wants – exceedingly well. More than developing an “target customer,” developing a meaningful customer demographic and psychographic profile (or multiple profiles) will be invaluable in guiding your efforts.
- Aligning your audience with the proper tactic. Facebook isn’t for everyone, and neither is Twitter. Don’t be lured by assertions that “everyone” flocks to a digital marketing tactic. Selectively choose them based on what your audience uses.
- Insisting on content of only the highest quality. Whether you are posting a lengthy how-to repair article on your website or sending a pithy social media message, you project your company image in every word you write. Be sure that your words exude polish and professionalism.
Naturally, no roofing contractor can stay on top of all of the dynamics of digital marketing, and this is where Roofer Marketing Gurus can help you best. Contact our experienced team for a consultation and we’ll help you find your footing – and many new customers to invigorate your business, too.